To Keep Your Teeth for a Lifetime, Keep Your Recall Visit!
Periodontal Maintenance Therapy or “Recall”
Many people do not realize that NO REFERRAL IS NEEDED to make an appointment with us for a “cleaning.” Because we are specialists in the care of the supporting structures of the teeth and implants, we are uniquely qualified to provide expert care over the years.
Our thoroughness has saved many a tooth or implant by uncovering problems while they are easy to fix. We are also proud to report that there are patients whose lives we have saved because a detailed cancer screening is done at every recall visit and at no extra charge.
Our practice is committed to the long-term therapy of our patients. It is well established that patients who are properly treated, keep up their home care, and have appropriate professional visits are very successful at maintaining their teeth for a lifetime. That is worth repeating: Patients who are treated and stay on recommended recall almost never lose any teeth from periodontal disease.
The quality of the recall visit is critical. The protocol we use for each visit is of the highest standards of any practice in the United States. We feel the one-hour visit is essential, as well as the dedication and integrity of our hygienists.
The following are completed at every visit:
- Medical history review with documentation of any new medications
- Dental history review with notation of any new restorations or problems
- Complete oral and cancer exam, including head and neck and all oral soft tissues
- Home-care evaluation with percent of plaque assessment
- Home-care instruction with issuing of oral hygiene devices
- Periodontal examination, including probing depths, recession, mobility, gum quality, and cavities
- Meticulous instrumentation of the teeth both above and below the gum line
- Selective polishing
- Doctor’s examination
Most of our patients alternate recall visits between our practice and their general dental practice. We strongly encourage alternate recall, and we find our patients do very well with this approach. Again, you DO NOT NEED A REFERRAL. It is very important to have a general dentist, though. If you do not have a GP, we work with some very talented dentists from every part of town and would be happy to refer you to one of them.
Some of the reasons for poor outcomes and continued loss of teeth are listed below. We strive to consult our patients and provide every motivation possible to overcome these factors.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Lack of appropriate recall interval
- Dental decay